Monday, May 4, 2009

Video

Pre-Video: Before my videotaped lesson I was very nervous about how I would sound, if I would make the lesson flow coherently, and if my students would behave. Normal worries, but worries nonetheless. My students at this point weren’t to me teaching them as a whole class because it was early in the rotation and I had only taught a few small group lessons. I started the lesson just hoping things would go as planned.

Immediately after video: I felt like maybe my students would seem like they didn’t work well in their group work. It got a little hairy in the middle of their group work because in their classroom it is teacher centered and they rarely work in groups. When I spoke with my facilitator and my peer who videotaped me they assured me that they thought the lesson went great. I was so happy and relieved! When the student did their independent work I was able to monitor their work and it seemed like they really understood. That made me feel like the lesson was effective and they grasped the concept of math patterns, and how to find them.

Post-Video: After having seen and edited my video I have some same thoughts and new observations. I noticed how serious I was during my lesson. I wish I had lightened up a little bit. I really think it was because I was nervous about being videotaped, but I don’t want to get in the habit of looking and sounding stoic. That’s not me! Otherwise I still feel great about the lesson. Later in the week students applied what I taught in some other class work so I know they understand the concept that I taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment